● For the novice, select a pseudophakic patient with a PC IOL or perform a simple a combined Phaco/ECP. Avoid complicated cases.
● ECP on patients with AC IOLs and aphakes can be performed by the novice but may not be as straight forward.
● Phakic patients should be avoided until the surgeon is experienced and proficient with the technique as damage to the lens is possible.
● A review of the literature will show that all mechanisms of glaucoma can be treated with high expectations of beneficial results.
● Previous medical therapy or surgical interventions are not a contraindication for ECP application.
● This topic can be discussed in more detail with your Endo Optiks Specialist.
● Avoid overtreatment of the ciliary processes. Do not pop. Treatment should be gentle and controlled.
● Only work in adequate space between the iris and anterior lens capsule. Inadvertent laser application to the iris root could cause post-op inflammation.
● Treat with steroids. Intensive topical, subconjunctival injection, intracameral injection (preservative free), post-op oral steroids, or perioperative IV steroids can be used.